There are a lot of traditions at Nest. Wednesday barbecues, Friday paper airplane battles, weekly drinks at the local bar. But my personal favorite is this. The annual gift guide. It’s not a highly curated piece of marketing – it’s just the good, weird, funny, unexpected, bizarre or entirely sensible ideas of everyone at this company.
Gifts for drinkers.
- Kristen had the brilliant idea of sending all her loved ones these classic cocktail kits.
- Ken suggests everyone warm their spirits with this hot rum mix. Just follow his recipe: A hot 6 ounces of half and half or milk in place of water. One shot of 75% dark rum, 25% brandy, 1 heaping tablespoon of the batter (or a little more). Now it’s happy holidays.
- Abdul likes giving these Eau Good Water Bottles with charcoal filters built in.
- Laura is giving out these delightful West, East and Gulf Coasters.
- Mark S. loves that these Yeti tumblers are double insulated to keep drinks hot or cold all day.
- Mike V. would like some 10th Mountain Division Bourbon, please.
- If anyone would care to give Kristen the Wine Awakening Master Kit so she could figure out which wines have hints of leather or citrus or nail polish remover, she would be much obliged.
Gifts for eaters.
- Julia is giving out Tesla cookie cutters. And Mona Lisa cookie cutters. And alphabet cookie cutters. She’s expecting a lot of cookies this year is what I’m trying to tell you.
- Abdul thinks everyone’s life could be improved with a 9090 espresso machine.
- Penny is looking forward to digging into all the vegetarian recipes in A Modern Way to Eat.
- Jo’s suggestion is reusable lunch bags.
- There’s a sous vide battle brewing. In this corner: the Sansaire from Laura J. In the other corner: an Anova from Chris C. Who will win? Everyone who likes evenly cooked food, presumably.
- Amaury just wants to order an entire delicious pig leg from Spain.
- Dale longs for the Canadian Thermomix and all the different things that can be mixed within it.
- Penny would kill for a Vitamix to ring in the new year.
Gifts for kids.
- Rushabh’s expecting his first baby in January and will give him or her a first gift of this cozy Cocoon Bag.
- Emily loves these children’s books that can be customized with your kid’s name.
- Jen likes bringing home classic games like Simon for her kids.
- And she fell in love with these tiny slippers. Because who could resist tiny slippers?
- Lauren already bought her kids Kano, a computer and coding set for kids 6 and up.
- Maxime got his 5-year-old a Sphero SPRK, a little robot that you can control with code. We start ’em early at Nest.
- Suzi wants to give out Mattel View-Masters that take a classic design and replace those little film reels with actual virtual reality.
Gifts for lovers of leather.
- YeYe travels a ton and wants a Mod customizable carry-on to contain cords, cash, pens and everything else she needs.
- Eric hopes to get a Motorola Moto 360 smart watch.
- Mike V. loves Leather Head’s beautifully made footballs and sporting goods.
- Evelyn is going for quality and comfort with Beek sandals that will last for decades.
- Eric needs a cool new wallet and is hoping someone gets him this super simple card case.
- JJ really likes the look and quality of these Master & Dynamic over-the-ear headphones.
- Suzi’s hoping to get some cool new Lucchese boots this Christmas.
Gifts for geeks.
- Our CEO, Tony, has one of these in his office. Pretty cool.
- What Marc really wants is a flying Nest Cam for Christmas. That’s not going to happen. So he’ll have to make do with a DJI Phantom 3.
- For those who like to make things: Charles recommends the Form 2 3D printer.
- Is this not the most mesmerizing clock you’ve ever seen? Until you can get one of those, we recommend this more modest ferrofluid drop for $30.
Gifts for Star Wars geeks, specifically.
- At least half a dozen people requested or are desperately hoping to receive this little BB-8 Droid.
- Liz is giving out Star Wars themed bathrobes that promise to keep you as “dry as Tatooine.”
- All JJ wants for Christmas are Death Star ice spheres.
- Lauren is thinking of giving her son a “Train You I Can” Yoda that’s just this side of the uncanny valley, but still awesome.
Gifts for home.
- Jo loves giving these custom made succulent pillows.
- Andy, facing the long stretch of winter ahead, would love some heated outdoor furniture.
- Matt, our fearless leader, is giving out subscriptions to the Boston Review.
- Laura finds the Wobble Chess Set adorable. And functional, should you be into chess. She is not.
- Jen thinks these Urban Mettle address planters are perfect gifts. I agree.
- Julia wants to become a caterpillar with this chunky knit blanket.
- Megan W. has had her eye on this jellyfish tank for a while now.
- Adi would like a new home theater system, please and thank you.
Gifts for travelers.
- Julia D. wants to get a personalized leather luggage tag. Because traveling in style starts with the luggage.
- Speaking of which, Jonathan has his eye on this beautifully rugged (and virtually indestructible) Wilder bag.
- Jonathan knows not everyone on his list is a globe trekker. So he’s encouraging them to explore locally with a dreamy book on San Francisco hills.
- Andy plans to step up his vacation photo game with an Olloclip lens for iPhone.
- Which means he might as well get this pocket-sized Polaroid Zip photo printer to go with it. Tip courtesy of Yuliya.
- And if you like seeing people cry at Christmas, try YeYe’s suggestion of a wistful wooden photo box.
Gifts for lovers of the thoughtful home.
- Daniel wants Philips Hue lights that you can control from your phone. They also learn when you’re gone from your Nest Thermostat and turn on and off to scare away intruders.
- Dina is giving out Chamberlain MyQ garage openers because they let you open or close the garage door from anywhere. Plus Chamberlain can talk to your Nest Thermostat so it knows when you come and go to save energy.
- Anton is a big fan of the Haiku fan. It’s super efficient and works with your Nest Thermostat to save energy.
- Everyone wants a Nest Learning Thermostat, naturally.
- David suggested the Skybell video doorbell that connects to your Nest Cam so you can see inside and out from one app.
- Michelle is getting everyone on her list a Nest Cam.
- John wants everyone to wake up a little easier with the Aura wake-up light. It connects to the Nest Thermostat so Nest can keep you cozy while you sleep and warm up the house as you wake up.
- Matteo is giving out Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarms like candy this year.
- Colin thinks everyone needs a Rachio smart sprinkler system that connects to your Nest Protect in case of emergency.