Herein lies the accumulated wisdom of all Nest employees. We asked the entire company what they wanted to give or get this year, and this is what we came up with. And if Nest can figure out how to make a thermostat sexy, a smoke alarm lovable and a security camera clever, then we can figure out what you should give your mom for Christmas. Or your cousin for Hanukkah. Or your friend for helping you move.
Want more options? We do this every year.
- Maxime wants a Thermomix that can weigh, chop, grind, knead, cook and steam your food.
- Sloo nominated one of our dueling sous vide machines, the Nomiku. He uses his all the time for making cheese and kefir and boiling perfect eggs.
- Maarten thinks any proper foodie would want Flor de Sal d’Es Trenc, sun-dried sea salt hand-harvested from Mallorca.
- The second sous vide suggestion comes from Brian, who likes the Anova Bluetooth Precision Cooker.
- Penny wants to make her own jerky (I didn’t ask why) and would love to do it with this Excalibur dehydrator.
- Sloo suggests some Blue Bottle Perfectly Ground coffee for the lazy, yet picky, coffee aficionado.
- Jacqueline knows what people really want: chocolate. Specifically, Chile Pistachio Bark.
- Christina wants the Misfit Phase watch that tracks steps, distance, calories, and sleep quality.
- All Kevin wants is a Santa Cruz Stigmata performance bike.
- Tucker wants a Garmin Varia Rearview Radar to warn him of cars coming up from behind.
- Sean would love a pair of Oakley Radar Pace sunglasses with their built-in sensors and real-time voice activated coaching system.
- Louise would love a Boosted Board electric skateboard.
- Whereas Seungho wants the Vanmoof Electrified S electric bike.
Smart home gifts.
- Lindsey would love a 4K television with Android TV built in.
- Ali wants to get a Google Home so she can turn up her thermostat or turn on the TV just by saying “Ok, Google.”
- Aubrey knows that an oven isn’t exactly most people’s idea of a holiday gift, but she still wants a Jenn-Air connected wall oven that can alert your phone if you forget to turn it off. She’s also highly tempted by the rest of these connected appliances.
- Michelle wants the Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller that connects to your phone (and your Nest Protect smoke and CO alarm).
- David would kill for a ChargePoint Home Electric Vehicle Charger that also connects to Nest.
- Angela is giving out Hello Sense sleep trackers to all her friends and family.
- Greg loves being able to turn anything that plugs into his Wemo switch on and off from his phone and thinks you will too.
- Dina loves her Chamberlain garage door opener and suggests everyone get one. It lets her open the garage door from anywhere to let people in and out of the house.
- Kezia is betting her friends and family will like this minimal Yamazaki accessory tree.
- Lizzie’s fallen in love with these super comfortable Wool Runners.
- Adrian is hoping his Indiegogo-funded Everyday Backpack will be ready by Christmas.
- Chris loves these Double Eleven jeans that use reclaimed material to minimize their carbon footprint without skimping on quality.
- For a thoughtful, reasonable winter gift, Kristen suggests these Ugg wool gloves that you can wear while using your phone.
- For a fantastic, less reasonable winter gift, Kristen suggests a mermaid blanket.
- Elaine thinks everyone who watches TV on their iPad will love this cardboard iPad TV stand.
- Kathleen has her eye on this Craftworker Cabinet.
- Vicky loves the look of this circular plywood shelf.
- Michelle is giving out framed prints, like this one explaining whiskey cocktails. And this one showing how all the characters in Seinfeld connect.
- Adeleyah hopes someone will give her this indoor gardening kit from Ikea.
- Laura suggests giving the Aura digital picture frame that automatically displays the best photos from your phone.
- Jen thinks the best gift for home is a little extra room, so she’s giving herself a Studio Shed for the backyard.
- Vicky loves Willowvane’s one-of-a-kind plates and cups.
- Rivka thinks everyone already has enough stuff, so she’s giving out TisBest charity gift cards that people can give to the charity of their choice.
- Lauren is giving her friends and family 23andMe genetic testing kits so they can learn more about themselves and where they come from.
- EJ would love a subscription to the Bouqs, which will deliver fresh flowers to her door every month.
- EJ is also hoping someone gives her a subscription to Bookroo so she can get regular curated deliveries of children’s books for her kid.
- Lauren loves the idea of giving the gift of you – in this case, 3D printed models of yourself from Doob.
Our favorite gifts.
- Give the Nest Cam Outdoor security camera this year. It stands watch 24/7, rain or shine. And with a free trial of Nest Aware, it can even send a special alert when it sees a person.
- Or give the one you love a Nest Learning Thermostat. It can connect to their phone and help save energy by learning their schedule and turning itself down when they’re away.
- Give the gift of plug-in-and-go security. You can set up the Nest Cam Indoor security camera in minutes, and it can stream live to your phone and alert you if something happens.
- The Nest Protect smoke and CO alarm is perfect if your friends and family have torn their old smoke detector off the ceiling this year or threaten to every time they hear a low-battery chirp. Nest Protect alerts your phone if there’s smoke or carbon monoxide when you’re away, and if you’re home, you can quiet down false alarms from the Nest app.