Nest Retention Statement
How Nest retains data that we collect
We collect data as you use Nest Products and Services. What we collect, why we collect it, and how you can manage your information are described in our Privacy Statement. This retention policy describes why we hold onto different types of data for different periods of time.
Data we retain until you remove it or delete your account
Some data is kept until you choose to remove it or delete your account. We provide you various ways to correct or delete data stored in your Nest account. For example, you can:
- Edit your profile information and add or remove structures and family members
- Delete your video history, clips and timelapses, and manage and delete your face library
- Delete the phone number you provided if you turned off 2-step verification
- Remove a Works with Nest connection for your account
- Delete your Nest account entirely. Learn More
Data that expires after a specific period of time
In some cases, rather than provide a way to delete data, we store it for a predetermined period of time. For such types of data, we set retention timeframes based on the reason for its collection and use. For example, we keep some device and sensor data for Nest Protect for about thirteen months or until you delete your account.
Data we retain for extended periods for limited purposes
Sometimes business and legal requirements oblige us to retain certain information, for specific purposes, for an extended period of time. For example, when Nest processes a payment for you, we’ll retain this data for longer periods of time as required for tax or accounting purposes. Reasons we might retain some data for longer periods of time include:
- Security, fraud & abuse prevention
- Financial record-keeping
- Complying with legal or regulatory requirements
- Ensuring the continuity of our services
- Your direct communications with Nest
Enabling account deletion
When you delete your Nest account, we disable login and then start the account deletion process. Our systems are designed to delete Nest Aware video footage within a few days and most other account data within a few months; however, some data may persist for longer periods of time.