The Molicas’ nest

A couple of weeks before Christmas, Tony Molica bought a few Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide alarms for his New Hampshire home.

Four days later, the alarms went off.

See more


of U.S. homes don’t have a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm.

39 states have made them mandatory.

Source: U.S. Consumer Product
Safety Commission (CPSC)

States that require a CO alarm

States that require a CO alarm

Like many families in New Hampshire, the Molicas heat their home a few different ways to stay warm in the winter.

They have a pellet stove, a wood-burning stove and an oil furnace.

When I purchased the Nest Protects I was really thinking about smoke. I hadn’t even thought about carbon monoxide.Tony Molica


There’s been 1 call since you loaded this page.

From 2003 to 2010, the number of carbon monoxide incidents reported nearly doubled. On an average day, U.S. fire departments respond to a carbon monoxide-related call every 7 minutes.

And these calls are only from those who recognize there’s a problem. Most people don’t even know.

Source: National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)

Hudson is a town of only 25,000 people. Yet the Fire Department averages one carbon monoxide-related call every week.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, invisible, and potentially deadly. It diffuses throughout a room and a home. Without an alarm, the Molicas would never have known it was there.

You can’t smell it or see it. So it’s really scary because you don’t know it’s there.Isabel Molica

Headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion.

Many people go to sleep thinking they simply have the flu.

“A lot of times people have it, they don't even know it.
They basically go to sleep and they never wake up.”Captain David Morin,
Hudson Fire Department

One night, the Nest Protect in the Molicas’ TV room went off with a carbon monoxide emergency.
Tony went downstairs, opened the windows and went back to bed.
But the alarms kept going off.

By morning, Tony had been in and out of the TV room a few times and was feeling sick.


of carbon monoxide deaths in the home are caused by heating systems.

Potential sources of carbon monoxide include:
furnaces, space heaters, fireplaces, water heaters, wood stoves, ranges and ovens, grills, lanterns, generators, lawn mowers and cars in the garage.

Source: National Center for Healthy Housing (NCHH)

His wife, Laurie, decided to call the fire department.

When the firefighters arrived, they found dangerous carbon monoxide levels and had to put on their breathing apparatus. They evacuated the house and treated the whole family for carbon monoxide.

It turns out, the vent on the pellet stove had malfunctioned and was leaking carbon monoxide into the house.

Almost instantly our air monitor went into the alarm for very dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.Captain David Morin,
Hudson Fire Department
“Four days after I installed all these Nest Protects throughout my house, I had a carbon monoxide problem and I’m glad I’m here to talk about it.”Tony Molica